Nightcrawlers are a type of worm that can be found in many different environments. They are often found on the ground, and sometimes people will find them in their gardens or compost piles!
However, people wonder if nightcrawler worms are edible; what do they taste like? Do they need to be cooked first? What are the health benefits of eating nightcrawlers? Our experts here at Simple Grow will answer these questions and more!
Nightcrawlers are worms that live in the dark and moist parts of the earth. They feed on organic matter, including decaying leaves, fruits from plants such as apples or strawberries, vegetables like corn cobs, and even other nightcrawlers! Nightcrawlers are often found in compost piles because they help break down a lot of the organic matter that might otherwise take a long time to decompose. Nightcrawlers are also found in many different environments, including gardens, fields, forests, and deserts!
Nightcrawler worms are rich in proteins and minerals like iron. So they're a high-quality protein source for people. They can also help to provide vitamin B12, which is vital for good health and often lacking in most people's diets in today's world.
Yes! In some parts of the world, nightcrawlers are considered a delicacy. They are edible raw, or cooked.
Nightcrawlers are high in protein and contain vitamin B12. They may also improve your gut health, leading to great digestive benefits like reduced stomach pain!
Cooking them will destroy any bacteria that might be present on the outside of the worm. In addition, you'll get a good dose of iron and protein from the worm.
You can cook them by boiling or frying. If you're going to fry the worms, it's best to dredge them in flour first.
No! Nightcrawlers are not poisonous, but they do have a mild form of tetrodotoxin that may cause numbness and tingling if eaten.
Tetrodotoxin is a poison that can be found in the glands of some animals like frogs, certain fish, and shellfish.
The most common sign is numbness or tingling fingers, but it may also lead to respiratory problems, seizures, and difficulty swallowing.
Within a few hours of eating an animal with the toxin.
Do not eat or drink anything; call 911 for medical assistance and have someone drive you to the hospital if necessary. Drink lots of water and seek immediate attention from a medical professional.
The nightcrawler worm is not typically eaten in the United States, but it may be consumed as a delicacy in some regions of Europe and Asia.
If they are cooked to 165 degrees Fahrenheit for at least four minutes or placed into boiling water for three minutes, they can be considered edible. Some people will eat nightcrawlers raw, but this is never advised.
Nightcrawler worms are highly nutritious and do provide many health benefits to eaters. They are typically high in protein and have a low-calorie count.
The recommended cooking time for nightcrawlers ensures that the worm will be safe to eat, but it also means that the worms are often cooked to a point where they lose their flavor.
The nightcrawler worm can help with joint pain and muscle soreness when eaten raw and is not believed to be poisonous to humans in small doses.
However, its high iron content may make them difficult for some people who have anemia.
Nightcrawlers are not usually eaten independently, but they can be blended into a protein shake or mixed with eggs and avocado in the morning for breakfast.
Eating nightcrawlers has many health benefits that cannot be found in any other food source. They have been shown to combat fatigue and are pretty satisfying if one finds themselves craving something crunchy!
Nightcrawlers are edible, but they need to be cooked before eating them raw because of the risk that they might contain parasites or bacteria like salmonella. In addition, it is recommended that you wash your hands well after handling nightcrawlers to prevent any potential bacterial infection from happening; also, make sure not to touch your face or eyes after handling them.
Do you wish your plants would grow bigger? Was your garden less than it should've been last year?
If you're tired of growing puny vegetables and fruits, it's time for an upgrade...Simple Grow Worm Castings!
What are worm castings? Another term for worm manure. Why would you want to use it in your garden, raised beds, and house plants? Because it makes them grow bigger, faster and healthier...with no chemicals!
How do worm castings do this? It's like giving your plants a powerful multivitamin with everything they need to grow. Trace minerals, nutrients, and most importantly...worm castings are chock full of beneficial microbes. Why does that make a difference?
In recent years, we've learned the importance of gut bacteria for humans and know that it impacts so many different parts of our health. The same thing applies with worms. Gut bacteria from the worm's digestive tract gets into the soil from the worm castings and promotes plant health. Plants have a symbiotic relationship with the microbes from the worm's digestive tract. Plants respond to it and grow really big...really fast!
If you've never tried worm castings before, you owe it to yourself to give them a try. Instead of using traditional chemical fertilizers from the big box store, why not try fresh, certified organic worm castings this year? You'll be able to grow bigger, healthier plants that you actually can feel good about eating.
Take advantage of our special bundle sale on 25lb bags today!